Yet more insulation and a handle on the tailgate

by December 26, 2015 0 comments
Back in the van this morning, first job was to fit the sound deadening and insulation to the tailgate now that the wiring has been done for the reversing camera.  I also finished insulating the sliding door and the rest of the near side panels. I followed the same approach as before, cutting the foam insulation to the size of the panel and then cutting it up into smaller pieces to fit it, before finishing it off with wedges of foam and duct tape.
The ThermaWrap was cut to size and taped on with duct tape, punching holes through for the panel clips. I changed the approach for the tailgate. As I'm going to be removing the panel in the future to allow for fitting the reversing camera, I decided to glue the ThermaWrap to the back of the ply panel, which I will then carpet, so the whole thing will come off as one piece. I'm going to carpet the tailgate too as I like the finish of the carpet, rather than leaving it painted with just the panel carpeted.
While finishing the insulating and looking at the two threaded inserts, I figured I'd need to add a pull handle as Han is only 5'4 and won't reach up to close the door without it.  I'm not sure when I'll get the part, so I just want to cut the ply panel in the meantime to accept the bolts to fit it when I do. I'll just carpet over it and cut the carpet when I get the part.  I just used a couple of strings to transpose the positions of the inserts to the ply panel and cut the holes out. Job done and ready for tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment